There is always conflicting information about the BEST way to grow dragon fruit Cuttings, So I thought I would do an experiment with 6 different growing mediums to see which performs the best.
I have used the same variety (Kathy Van Arum) small new growth cutting that are all around the same age and size.
The growing medium I have chosen is.
- Mushroom compost
- Yates seed raising mix.
- Searles premium potting mix
- Coconut coir
- Searles premium potting mix with the cutting dipped in Root X
I have planted the cuttings in glass so we can see the growth progress.
These cuttings are watered once a week and kept indoor in a well-lit warm room.
I started this experiment on August 16, 2022 and concluded it on September 16.
- Mushroom compost a lot of root growth this did the best by far the glass had a strong root system.
- Coconut coir had some root growth but defiantly a few weeks behind the Mushroom compost.
- Yates seed raising mix- No growth.
- Water- no growth and some rot
- Searles premium potting mix- no growth
- Searles premium potting mix with the cutting dipped in Root X - no growth.